Wednesday, May 28, 2008

First One!

So I read an article today that stated writing blogs is good for your health in all sorts of ridiculous ways that I was completely unaware of.  I had been planning to pick up one of these for a while anyway; the article just gave me a reason to start today.  So what is it about?  Music.  I'm creating this more for myself as a day-to-day chronicle of the music I listen to as a sort of way of retaining first impressions of the things I hear.

So I began the day with Clutch's Jam Room.  It's an aptly titled album from a band that has grown and gotten considerably better since it was released.  It lacks the propulsive energy of Pure Rock Fury or the tight grooves of Blast Tyrant.  What it does have it lots of the weird lyrics Clutch is known for that careens wildly from bizarre insanity to mindless gibberish as well as an even more noodly temperament than usual.  Their obnoxiously atonal guitar solos are already in place for this album but at least all the elements of what they became have become established to an extent.

I also listened to the album Sisters of the Red Death by Vendetta Red.  I actually enjoyed this album quite a bit.  It much improved over their first album with a dose of that "maturity" that the media always brings up in relation to sophmore efforts.  Many of the usual loud-quiet-loud dynamics and dual scream/sing vocals are present but are constructed in a very polished and well-concieved manner.  An additional observation I made was the lyrical content of this album and how significantly darker it is than most within this genre.  They are less like the lyrics of a screamo band and more the lyrics of a grindcore band.  Some seriously disturbing stuff revolving around some weird concept involving a medusa comprise the majority of the thematic continuity of the album.

I don't know how frequently I will be updating this, but it could be daily depending on how bored I get.

No comments: